According to the American Dental Association (ADA), you should visit the dentist regularly every couple of months. Preventative dentistry includes services such as oral dental care, dental cleanings, scaling and polishing, etc. Please continue reading for a detailed discussion of the various preventative dentistry services available at West Orem Dental.
Preventive Dentistry Services
It’s crucial to brush your teeth thoroughly twice a day, floss regularly, and rinse your mouth with an antibacterial mouthwash. These are crucial oral health habits you need to cultivate. But it’s just as important to go for regular dental visits. No matter how well you brush your teeth, you can’t get rid of all the tiny food particles stuck inside your mouth. These food particles attract bacteria, which leads to the formation of a white sticky film called plaque. Over time, this plaque hardens into a substance called tartar. If you allow plaque and tartar to persist, they can eventually lead to cavities and gingivitis. The following are some preventive dentistry services you can avail of at West Orem Dental.
Scaling & Polishing
Our dental hygienist will first examine your teeth and gums to determine if you’re currently suffering from any dental issues like cavities or gum diseases. After a preliminary examination, they’ll carry out the following preventive dentistry services:
- Using a scaler device, the dental hygienist will scrape off all the plaque and tartar from your teeth. This will render your mouth completely healthy.
- If the dentist finds that you’re suffering from some serious gum diseases, they may also recommend x-ray scans and further tests to diagnose the issue and come up with relevant treatments.
- If there’s no other issue, the dental hygienist will brush your teeth using an abrasive toothpaste. The toothpaste will scrub the surface of your teeth to smoothen it out and remove even trace plaque. They’ll also floss your teeth to get rid of any remaining plaque.
- The dental hygienist will also ask you to rinse your mouth using a fluoride solution that can kill any remaining bacteria.
- In the final stage, the dentist will apply a fluoride paste to your teeth and then put on a mouthguard to seal the chemicals. After a few minutes, you’ll have to rinse your mouth again. This entire process will ensure that your teeth don’t suffer from bacterial infection for a few months at least.
Oral Health and Preventive Dentistry
After the aforementioned procedure, the dental hygienist will discuss oral health and preventive dentistry with you. During this consultation, the dental hygienist will give you tips on the best ways to maintain your oral health. They’ll give you the following information:
- The type of toothbrush and toothpaste you should use for optimal impact.
- Which antibacterial mouthwash you should use for rinsing.
- How often you should floss and what’s the best method for flossing.
- How often you should return for dental cleaning sessions.
- If they find that you have certain issues that may, in the future, cause trouble, they may also recommend preventive treatments. For example, if you have a weak or damaged tooth, they may recommend you get dental crowns to protect them before something bad happens.
Benefits of Preventative Dentistry
Preventive dentistry can help everyone. It is especially helpful for children because it allows their adult teeth to come out strongly and it also helps adults by helping them keep their original teeth healthy. The following are some of the primary benefits of preventative dentistry:
- Prevents you from suffering from dental issues like cavities, enamel loss, gingivitis, periodontitis, etc.
- Can identify weaknesses in your teeth structure early and recommend preventive solutions like dental crowns and bridges.
- Good oral health also prevents secondary diseases linked to gum diseases such as diabetes, osteoporosis, cancer, respiratory issues, and various others.
- Maintaining oral health is also highly recommended during pregnancy as it may prevent issues like premature birth.
My minor procedure was pleasant, quick and painless. Dr. Grant and his assistant were very cordial, professional and informative about the procedure and the follow up care.
I had another regular scheduled appointment at West Orem dental. Ease and flexible scheduling. Walked in, friendly service with no wait. X-rays and cleaning was smooth and relaxing. The friendly service and customer care had me lose track of time. I already scheduled my next appointment. Glad me and my family made the switch to West Orem Dental.
Heard about Dr. Grant at W.Orem Dental through a friend and I’m so glad I did. Office staff is very friendly and organized. Dr. Grant did great work on my fillings and left me in virtually no pain at all. I’ll definitely be going back.
Dr Grant is extremely patient with his clients. He goes out of his way to ensure your comfortable. He genuinely cares about excellence in his work. He gives personal service and takes his time with you individually. Dr Grant is not Just another dentist.
Excellent dentistry with super competent and friendly staff. First rate work! Can’t recommend highly enough!
I hate the dentist but I LOVE West Orem Dental, entering the doors are full of smiles and welcomes from Mary and Stephanie they make me feel way more comfortable, the service was great as usual I will be returning soon they’re the best
My family and I have been coming to Dr. Grant for years. We love his dental work, very professional and good bedside manner. His staff is very helpful. They also accept Care Crédit for those unexpected dental expenses that dental insurance doesn’t cover. I definitely recommend West Orem Dental.
I have been going to West Orem Dental Center for many years for all of my dental needs. The staff is so caring, kind and gentle. Their work is exceptional. Thank you for restoring my smile. I appreciate all that you do.
West Orem Dental is great. Dr. Grant and his staff are very professional. They make your dental visit experience as comfortable as possible. I’ve been a customer for many years and have always been welcomed with smiling faces.
Been coming here since I was five now its over 40 years later and I’m bringing my kids
Dr Watkins was always great and now Mark Grant is just as good and makes us always feel important
Mary is great also always finding out answers to my many questions!!
I’ve been going to the West Orem Dental for over a decade and have never been disappointed. The staff is amazing, they make you feel right at home. This is the most efficient place I’ve ever been to. Thank you West Orem Dental Center for always taking care of my teeth. They even make a Dental extraction pleasant and easy.
I have been going there for years and Dr Grant is a great dentist. He is very friendly and caring plus I am very pleased with the work he has done on my teeth.
The people are caring and do a good job to educate you about the importance of good dental health. I recommend them to take care of all your dental needs. Thank You West Orem Dental
Dr. Grant, is a good, and caring dentist…He listens to you, and helps you to decide the best treatment for your problem…I had a root canal , yesterday, was scared to death..my first one… I didn’t need to be afraid…it was a snap ! If you need a good dentist, he’s you man ..
Mary and Stephanie we absolutely amazing!!! I came in with horrible pain and needing a tooth extracted and they fit me in immediately and worked with me on everything!! I cannot tell you how amazed I am with these guys!!! And Dr Grant is one of a kind!!! No pain and super quick!!! Love love love!!!!
Well I found this dentist thru my insurance. They were great. The dentist did a great job on my teeth and dentures. I have received a lot of compliments on my teeth. I would recommend them in a minute. I even send my sister there and she was happy with the work they did on her teeth.
Very patient and explains everything … About to get my first root canal and I am very calm knowing that Dr. Grant will do an awesome job.. staff is very welcoming and make sure you are taken care of.
I have seen Dr Grant several times. I had a wisdom tooth pulled. It wasn’t an easy process, tooth just had broken the gums and had been this way for years. Dr Grant did a wonderful job, I had no pain during the procedure or afterwards, only soreness. I’m now having a root canal done and have also been well taken of….no pain. He informs you of what he will be doing. He and all his staff are very friendly. It is so comforting to walk in the door and be greeted by smiling faces from the ladies at the front desk. I feel important as a patient, well taken care of and recommend Dr Grant to anyone who is in need of a great dentist.
I have been coming to West Orem for over 20 years. The service is remarkable and the staff is wonderful. Dr Grant is the best and he is very sensitive to your needs. The staff goes over and beyond to help you and make you feel like you are the only patient in the world. Thank you West Orem Dental for caring enough to give me the best of your service.
Oral Hygiene Habits to Follow
The following is a brief overview of oral hygiene habits you should follow:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day.
- Change your toothbrush at least 3 two 4 times a year to prevent them from fraying.
- Floss regularly, especially between your teeth, to get rid of all food particles.
- Rinse your mouth with a fluoride mouthwash.
- Eat a balanced and nutritious diet with lots of water.
- Go for regular dental appointments.
Frequently Asked Questions about Preventative Dentistry
What are the various tips regarding preventive dentistry?
Some of the important tips regarding preventive dentistry are to brush and floss regularly, eat a balanced diet, and go for regular dental cleaning appointments.
What kind of treatment is provided by preventive dentistry?
The most common treatment provided by preventive dentistry is known as scaling and polishing during which all the plaque and tartar are removed from your teeth.
What can I do about my receding gums?
If you have receding gums, your dental hygienist will smoothen the root area during the dental cleaning session and reattach your teeth to the gums. As such, you should make a dental cleaning appointment.
Preventive Dentistry Houston
West Orem Dental is the best clinic for preventive dentistry Houston. We also specialize in pediatric preventive dentistry so you can even set up appointments for the entire family. We thoroughly examine your teeth and prevent gum diseases from occurring. We also give you and your children a detailed instruction on how to maintain oral health using the best dental practices so your teeth always remain in the best condition. For more information on preventive dentistry Houston, please schedule an appointment today.