Dental implants are basically metal posts that are planted into your jawbone below the gums so that the dentist can mount a tooth replacement such as a dental crown or dentures over them. Basically, dental implants aren’t replacement teeth but rather replacement roots that serve as the foundation for the teeth. In this article, we discuss who can get dental implants, types of dental implants, and the dental implant procedure.
Advantages of Dental Implants
The following are the primary advantages of dental implants.
- Aesthetic Appeal: Dental implants fuse with the bone permanently and provide a strong foundation for tooth replacement — thus acting and looking like real teeth. They can help you smile confidently again.
- Speech Improvement: If you use dentures without dental implants, the dentures can slip from the mouth and lead to speech impediments. However, dental implants are firmly positioned within your jawbones so you can speak properly.
- Comfortable: Dental implants may cause some discomfort initially, but then they just become a part of your body and are completely comfortable.
- Eating Improvement: It’s difficult to chew and eat without a full set of teeth or with poorly-fitted dentures that keep sliding off. Dental implants, however, act just like your actual teeth and allow you to eat confidently.
- Oral Health: Some dental replacements like bridges require the dentist to shave off some of the surrounding teeth and alter their structure. However, with dental implants, the dentist doesn’t need to alter your surrounding teeth. This ensures that more of your original teeth remain intact and it also facilitates better oral health.
- Durable: Tooth implants are extremely durable and can last a lifetime if you take care of them.
- Convenient: If you get dentures, you have to constantly remove them or take special care of them, which can be embarrassing. However, dental implants are fixed in place just like your actual teeth, making them a lot more convenient.
- Highly Successful: Finally, tooth implants have an extremely high success rate of 98%.
Who Can Get Dental Implants?
Most people can get dental implants without any issues. If you’re healthy enough for oral surgery or dental extraction, then you’re also suitable for dental implants. You just need to have enough bone structure to hold the dental implants in place along with healthy gums. Dental implants may be unsuitable for heavy smokers, those who have undergone radiation therapy in the head or neck, or those who suffer from diabetes and heart diseases. However, whatever the case may be, you should consult your dentist about your suitability.
Types of Dental Implants
According to the American Dental Association, there are two safe types of dental implants available.
- Endosteal Implants: These tooth implants are surgically planted into the jawbone. After that’s done, another surgery is conducted to attach a post to the implant. Following that, an artificial tooth is attached to the post.
- Subperiosteal Implants: A metal frame is attached to the jawbone under the gum line. A post is then attached to the frame and then an artificial tooth is attached to the post.
My minor procedure was pleasant, quick and painless. Dr. Grant and his assistant were very cordial, professional and informative about the procedure and the follow up care.
I had another regular scheduled appointment at West Orem dental. Ease and flexible scheduling. Walked in, friendly service with no wait. X-rays and cleaning was smooth and relaxing. The friendly service and customer care had me lose track of time. I already scheduled my next appointment. Glad me and my family made the switch to West Orem Dental.
Heard about Dr. Grant at W.Orem Dental through a friend and I’m so glad I did. Office staff is very friendly and organized. Dr. Grant did great work on my fillings and left me in virtually no pain at all. I’ll definitely be going back.
Dr Grant is extremely patient with his clients. He goes out of his way to ensure your comfortable. He genuinely cares about excellence in his work. He gives personal service and takes his time with you individually. Dr Grant is not Just another dentist.
Excellent dentistry with super competent and friendly staff. First rate work! Can’t recommend highly enough!
I hate the dentist but I LOVE West Orem Dental, entering the doors are full of smiles and welcomes from Mary and Stephanie they make me feel way more comfortable, the service was great as usual I will be returning soon they’re the best
My family and I have been coming to Dr. Grant for years. We love his dental work, very professional and good bedside manner. His staff is very helpful. They also accept Care Crédit for those unexpected dental expenses that dental insurance doesn’t cover. I definitely recommend West Orem Dental.
I have been going to West Orem Dental Center for many years for all of my dental needs. The staff is so caring, kind and gentle. Their work is exceptional. Thank you for restoring my smile. I appreciate all that you do.
West Orem Dental is great. Dr. Grant and his staff are very professional. They make your dental visit experience as comfortable as possible. I’ve been a customer for many years and have always been welcomed with smiling faces.
Been coming here since I was five now its over 40 years later and I’m bringing my kids
Dr Watkins was always great and now Mark Grant is just as good and makes us always feel important
Mary is great also always finding out answers to my many questions!!
I’ve been going to the West Orem Dental for over a decade and have never been disappointed. The staff is amazing, they make you feel right at home. This is the most efficient place I’ve ever been to. Thank you West Orem Dental Center for always taking care of my teeth. They even make a Dental extraction pleasant and easy.
I have been going there for years and Dr Grant is a great dentist. He is very friendly and caring plus I am very pleased with the work he has done on my teeth.
The people are caring and do a good job to educate you about the importance of good dental health. I recommend them to take care of all your dental needs. Thank You West Orem Dental
Dr. Grant, is a good, and caring dentist…He listens to you, and helps you to decide the best treatment for your problem…I had a root canal , yesterday, was scared to death..my first one… I didn’t need to be afraid…it was a snap ! If you need a good dentist, he’s you man ..
Mary and Stephanie we absolutely amazing!!! I came in with horrible pain and needing a tooth extracted and they fit me in immediately and worked with me on everything!! I cannot tell you how amazed I am with these guys!!! And Dr Grant is one of a kind!!! No pain and super quick!!! Love love love!!!!
Well I found this dentist thru my insurance. They were great. The dentist did a great job on my teeth and dentures. I have received a lot of compliments on my teeth. I would recommend them in a minute. I even send my sister there and she was happy with the work they did on her teeth.
Very patient and explains everything … About to get my first root canal and I am very calm knowing that Dr. Grant will do an awesome job.. staff is very welcoming and make sure you are taken care of.
I have seen Dr Grant several times. I had a wisdom tooth pulled. It wasn’t an easy process, tooth just had broken the gums and had been this way for years. Dr Grant did a wonderful job, I had no pain during the procedure or afterwards, only soreness. I’m now having a root canal done and have also been well taken of….no pain. He informs you of what he will be doing. He and all his staff are very friendly. It is so comforting to walk in the door and be greeted by smiling faces from the ladies at the front desk. I feel important as a patient, well taken care of and recommend Dr Grant to anyone who is in need of a great dentist.
I have been coming to West Orem for over 20 years. The service is remarkable and the staff is wonderful. Dr Grant is the best and he is very sensitive to your needs. The staff goes over and beyond to help you and make you feel like you are the only patient in the world. Thank you West Orem Dental for caring enough to give me the best of your service.
Dental Implant Procedure
The following is a detailed overview of all the steps in the dental implant procedure:
- Your dental team examines your teeth and your specific conditions in order to come up with a dental implant treatment plan that’s best suited for you.
- A small titanium post — called the tooth root implant — is attached to the bone socket of the missing tooth. The jawbone eventually heals around the titanium post in order to securely anchor it. The whole process may take 6 to 12 weeks.
- Once the jawbone has healed around the implant, a small abutment (connector post) is attached to the post.
- The dentist will take an impression of your teeth’s size, shape, and color. Based on that model, the dentist will create a replacement tooth or a crown.
- The dental crown or replacement tooth will be attached to the abutment. It will look and feel exactly like your actual teeth because it will be based on a model of your bite arrangement and it will be firmly fixed to the jawbone.
Dental Implant Cost
Dental implants can be pretty expensive, but they’re usually worth it because they’re a one-time cost. In most cases, dental implants to replace a single tooth can cost between $3,000 and $4,500. Dental implants are rarely covered by insurance but may be considered based on individual cases.
Dental Implant Maintenance
Dental implants require the same type of maintenance as actual teeth:
- Brush at least twice a day.
- Floss every day, especially after meals.
- Rinse your mouth with an antibacterial mouthwash.
- Go for regular dental cleaning sessions.
Frequently Asked Questions about Dental Implants
Are dental implants painful?
Dental implants cause mild discomfort and soreness initially. However, these can be handled with over-the-counter medications. The process is completely painless since it’s done under anesthesia.
If I had gum disease, is it possible for tooth implants?
If you have gum disease, you can still get tooth implants. In fact, people often opt for tooth implants to replace teeth that have been loosened or damaged by periodontal disease. However, you should treat gum disease first before getting tooth implants.
Is it necessary to have a tooth implant after an extraction?
Yes, it’s necessary to get tooth implants soon after dental extraction because a longer wait period will lead to loss of bone, which will make dental implants difficult.
How long does a dental implant last?
Dental implants, if taken care of, can also last 15 to 20 years. In some cases, dental implants can last a lifetime.
Dental Implants Near Me
At West Orem Dental, we examine your mouth and take exact impressions of your teeth in order to create precise and accurate dental implants that look and feel just like real teeth. However, if you’ve recently lost teeth, you have a narrow window of opportunity before bone loss sets in and you can’t get dental implants. So please schedule an appointment for dental implants immediately.