Dental bridges are used to bridge the gap created by missing teeth. West Orem Dental provides some of the strongest and most durable dental crowns and bridges for a wide range of purposes. Please continue reading for detailed information on the crown and bridge procedure.
Why do you need Dental Crowns and Bridges?
A crown and bridge procedure may be necessary for the following reasons:
- Dental crowns can replace large fillings when there isn’t enough tooth structure left.
- After a root canal treatment, your tooth is left in a weakened state. Crowns can help protect them from fracture.
- Dental crowns can restore fractured teeth.
- Crowns can be used as anchor points to attach dental bridges.
- They can cover dental implants.
- They can enhance the aesthetic appeal of stained, misshapen, or broken teeth.
- Prevent gum disease and TMJ disorders arising from a bad bite, which can occur when there’s a gap between the teeth and your surrounding teeth start drifting.
Types of Dental Crowns and Bridges
There are a number of different types of dental crowns and bridges depending on how they’re positioned and the material they’re made of.
Types of Dental Crowns
The following are the various types of dental crowns.
- Ceramic or Porcelain: These are tooth-colored dental crowns that are ideal for restoring visible teeth because they can blend in with the rest of the teeth. This material is extremely resistant to wear and it’s also stain-resistant so it won’t easily get discolored. However, the dentist will need to shave more of the tooth structure for them.
- Porcelain-Fused-to-Metal: Sometimes, porcelain is fused to metal to make it even stronger. However, in this case, some of the dark metal can often be seen around the gum line, making it less discreet than ceramic dental crowns.
- Gold: This is one of the strongest dental crowns available. The biggest issue is that it’s extremely expensive and highly visible because of the bright gold color. It’s usually used for crowns in the deep and hidden teeth.
- Amalgam: Silver amalgam or base metal alloys are resistant to wear and they’re extremely durable. However, they are also visible so they’re not suitable for front teeth.
Types of Dental Bridges
There are three primary types of dental bridges.
- Traditional Dental Bridge: Made from either ceramic or porcelain-fused-to-metal, these dental bridges use two anchoring abutment teeth.
- Cantilever Dental Bridge: This is a type of dental bridge in which only one tooth is prepared for a crown. This is done when the individual doesn’t have teeth on either side of the missing teeth.
- Maryland Dental Bridge: In this case, a metal framework is driven through the fake tooth and then cemented to the surrounding abutment teeth. In this case, the surrounding teeth don’t have to be shaved for the dental crown.
My minor procedure was pleasant, quick and painless. Dr. Grant and his assistant were very cordial, professional and informative about the procedure and the follow up care.
I had another regular scheduled appointment at West Orem dental. Ease and flexible scheduling. Walked in, friendly service with no wait. X-rays and cleaning was smooth and relaxing. The friendly service and customer care had me lose track of time. I already scheduled my next appointment. Glad me and my family made the switch to West Orem Dental.
Heard about Dr. Grant at W.Orem Dental through a friend and I’m so glad I did. Office staff is very friendly and organized. Dr. Grant did great work on my fillings and left me in virtually no pain at all. I’ll definitely be going back.
Dr Grant is extremely patient with his clients. He goes out of his way to ensure your comfortable. He genuinely cares about excellence in his work. He gives personal service and takes his time with you individually. Dr Grant is not Just another dentist.
Excellent dentistry with super competent and friendly staff. First rate work! Can’t recommend highly enough!
I hate the dentist but I LOVE West Orem Dental, entering the doors are full of smiles and welcomes from Mary and Stephanie they make me feel way more comfortable, the service was great as usual I will be returning soon they’re the best
My family and I have been coming to Dr. Grant for years. We love his dental work, very professional and good bedside manner. His staff is very helpful. They also accept Care Crédit for those unexpected dental expenses that dental insurance doesn’t cover. I definitely recommend West Orem Dental.
I have been going to West Orem Dental Center for many years for all of my dental needs. The staff is so caring, kind and gentle. Their work is exceptional. Thank you for restoring my smile. I appreciate all that you do.
West Orem Dental is great. Dr. Grant and his staff are very professional. They make your dental visit experience as comfortable as possible. I’ve been a customer for many years and have always been welcomed with smiling faces.
Been coming here since I was five now its over 40 years later and I’m bringing my kids
Dr Watkins was always great and now Mark Grant is just as good and makes us always feel important
Mary is great also always finding out answers to my many questions!!
I’ve been going to the West Orem Dental for over a decade and have never been disappointed. The staff is amazing, they make you feel right at home. This is the most efficient place I’ve ever been to. Thank you West Orem Dental Center for always taking care of my teeth. They even make a Dental extraction pleasant and easy.
I have been going there for years and Dr Grant is a great dentist. He is very friendly and caring plus I am very pleased with the work he has done on my teeth.
The people are caring and do a good job to educate you about the importance of good dental health. I recommend them to take care of all your dental needs. Thank You West Orem Dental
Dr. Grant, is a good, and caring dentist…He listens to you, and helps you to decide the best treatment for your problem…I had a root canal , yesterday, was scared to death..my first one… I didn’t need to be afraid…it was a snap ! If you need a good dentist, he’s you man ..
Mary and Stephanie we absolutely amazing!!! I came in with horrible pain and needing a tooth extracted and they fit me in immediately and worked with me on everything!! I cannot tell you how amazed I am with these guys!!! And Dr Grant is one of a kind!!! No pain and super quick!!! Love love love!!!!
Well I found this dentist thru my insurance. They were great. The dentist did a great job on my teeth and dentures. I have received a lot of compliments on my teeth. I would recommend them in a minute. I even send my sister there and she was happy with the work they did on her teeth.
Very patient and explains everything … About to get my first root canal and I am very calm knowing that Dr. Grant will do an awesome job.. staff is very welcoming and make sure you are taken care of.
I have seen Dr Grant several times. I had a wisdom tooth pulled. It wasn’t an easy process, tooth just had broken the gums and had been this way for years. Dr Grant did a wonderful job, I had no pain during the procedure or afterwards, only soreness. I’m now having a root canal done and have also been well taken of….no pain. He informs you of what he will be doing. He and all his staff are very friendly. It is so comforting to walk in the door and be greeted by smiling faces from the ladies at the front desk. I feel important as a patient, well taken care of and recommend Dr Grant to anyone who is in need of a great dentist.
I have been coming to West Orem for over 20 years. The service is remarkable and the staff is wonderful. Dr Grant is the best and he is very sensitive to your needs. The staff goes over and beyond to help you and make you feel like you are the only patient in the world. Thank you West Orem Dental for caring enough to give me the best of your service.
Dental Crown and Bridge Procedure
Dental Crown Procedure
- The dentist examines the tooth to see if it’s suitable for a dental crown.
- Shaving off the external parts of the teeth and building up the core to receive the crown.
- Taking shape and shade impressions of the teeth to prepare an accurate dental crown. This is done so that the prepared dental crown looks like your real teeth.
- Wearing a temporary dental crown for a period of two weeks to protect your teeth from damage.
- Placing the dental crown over the tooth and making final adjustments before cementing it in place.
Dental Bridge Procedure
- The dentist examines your teeth to curate a treatment plan.
- The abutment teeth will be prepared to receive the dental crowns by shaving them down.
- Impressions of the shade and shapes of the teeth are captured accurately. A replacement tooth — known as a pontic — will be attached either on one side of the crown or between two crowns.
- You have to wear a temporary dental bridge to protect your gums while the permanent dental bridge is prepared, which can take two weeks.
- The temporary dental bridge is removed and replaced with a permanent one. The type of dental bridge used will depend on the location of the missing tooth.
- Final adjustments are made and then the dental bridge is cemented in place permanently.
Frequently Asked Questions about Crowns & Bridges
What is the typical cost for a dental crown?
A single dental crown may cost between $500 to $1,500, depending on the material used.
What kind of treatment provided by the cosmetic dentist?
A cosmetic dentist can provide a wide range of treatments. The most permanent treatment, however, is the application of dental crowns and bridges.
How does a dental bridge help in teeth fixing?
A dental bridge doesn’t fix teeth but it bridges the gap left by missing teeth.
How soon after a tooth extraction can a bridge be placed?
After tooth extraction, the wounded site takes around 6 weeks to heal, maybe even more. Soft tissue must gradually grow and fill the gum line again. A bridge cannot be placed until the site of tooth extraction has healed completely. As such, it can be 6 weeks or more after tooth extraction that you can place a dental bridge.
Where to Find Affordable Crowns and Bridges?
West Orem Dental provides the most durable and affordable crowns and bridges in Houston, TX. Our dentists thoroughly examine your teeth in order to prepare crowns and bridges that perfectly blend in with the rest of your teeth and provide perfect aesthetic appeal. For more information, please schedule an appointment today.