Porcelain veneers are thin tooth-colored pieces of porcelain that are cemented to the front face of your teeth to enhance their aesthetic appeal and hide stains and other deformities. However, porcelain veneers are permanent in nature so you need to consult your dentist and discuss all of your options before you get them.
At West Orem Dental, we carefully listen to your concerns and study your teeth to guide you towards the right cosmetic dentistry procedure, be it porcelain veneers or any other. Please continue reading for a detailed overview of the porcelain veneer procedure.
What are Porcelain Veneers? What are their Pros and Cons?
Porcelain veneers are thin slivers of porcelain attached to your teeth permanently to enhance their aesthetic appeal. The following are some of the primary pros and cons of porcelain veneers.
Pros of Porcelain Veneers
- Whiter Teeth: Over the years, through continued consumption of drinks, beverages, and smoking, your teeth may be discolored into a yellow or brown stain. You can bleach the stained enamel either at home or at a dentist’s office. However, bleaching can usually only get rid of the surface stains and not deeper stains. Furthermore, enamel easily gets stained again, making teeth whitening a temporary procedure. Porcelain veneers instantly make your teeth appear a lot whiter and they’re stain-resistant so they don’t even get discolored.
- Cosmetic Enhancement: You may suffer from a variety of orthodontic problems like crooked teeth, gapped teeth, chipped teeth, etc. These issues can be fixed with other cosmetic procedures or orthodontic treatments. However, those procedures are extremely expensive and usually take a long time. Porcelain veneers don’t fix those problems but they mask them completely.
- Enamel Replacement: Over the years, your enamel wears away due to various factors, like consuming acidic beverages, brushing intensely, etc. As such, veneers are the perfect replacement for lost enamel.
Cons of Porcelain Veneers
- Expensive: According to the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, the average cost of a single porcelain veneer is $1,313. The exact cost of porcelain veneers will differ based on location and a number of other factors, but it’s still pretty expensive.
- Heightened Sensitivity: In order to apply porcelain veneers, some of your enamel has to be shaved off. As such, your teeth may be extremely sensitive to hot and cold temperatures for a few days after applying the porcelain veneers. But this will eventually go away and you can relieve the pain with the right products.
- Irreversible: Your dentist will need to alter your teeth’s natural surface in order to attach the porcelain veneers over them. As such, you can’t go back on this procedure — it’s permanent.
Why do you need Porcelain Dental Veneers?
You may need porcelain dental veneers in the following situations:
- If your teeth are extremely discolored and you can’t rectify it simply with bleaching or teeth whitening solutions.
- If your teeth are worn down and look unattractive.
- Chipped or broken tooth due to various activities.
- Misaligned, misshapen, or simply crooked teeth.
- If you have gaps between your teeth.
My minor procedure was pleasant, quick and painless. Dr. Grant and his assistant were very cordial, professional and informative about the procedure and the follow up care.
I had another regular scheduled appointment at West Orem dental. Ease and flexible scheduling. Walked in, friendly service with no wait. X-rays and cleaning was smooth and relaxing. The friendly service and customer care had me lose track of time. I already scheduled my next appointment. Glad me and my family made the switch to West Orem Dental.
Heard about Dr. Grant at W.Orem Dental through a friend and I’m so glad I did. Office staff is very friendly and organized. Dr. Grant did great work on my fillings and left me in virtually no pain at all. I’ll definitely be going back.
Dr Grant is extremely patient with his clients. He goes out of his way to ensure your comfortable. He genuinely cares about excellence in his work. He gives personal service and takes his time with you individually. Dr Grant is not Just another dentist.
Excellent dentistry with super competent and friendly staff. First rate work! Can’t recommend highly enough!
I hate the dentist but I LOVE West Orem Dental, entering the doors are full of smiles and welcomes from Mary and Stephanie they make me feel way more comfortable, the service was great as usual I will be returning soon they’re the best
My family and I have been coming to Dr. Grant for years. We love his dental work, very professional and good bedside manner. His staff is very helpful. They also accept Care Crédit for those unexpected dental expenses that dental insurance doesn’t cover. I definitely recommend West Orem Dental.
I have been going to West Orem Dental Center for many years for all of my dental needs. The staff is so caring, kind and gentle. Their work is exceptional. Thank you for restoring my smile. I appreciate all that you do.
West Orem Dental is great. Dr. Grant and his staff are very professional. They make your dental visit experience as comfortable as possible. I’ve been a customer for many years and have always been welcomed with smiling faces.
Been coming here since I was five now its over 40 years later and I’m bringing my kids
Dr Watkins was always great and now Mark Grant is just as good and makes us always feel important
Mary is great also always finding out answers to my many questions!!
I’ve been going to the West Orem Dental for over a decade and have never been disappointed. The staff is amazing, they make you feel right at home. This is the most efficient place I’ve ever been to. Thank you West Orem Dental Center for always taking care of my teeth. They even make a Dental extraction pleasant and easy.
I have been going there for years and Dr Grant is a great dentist. He is very friendly and caring plus I am very pleased with the work he has done on my teeth.
The people are caring and do a good job to educate you about the importance of good dental health. I recommend them to take care of all your dental needs. Thank You West Orem Dental
Dr. Grant, is a good, and caring dentist…He listens to you, and helps you to decide the best treatment for your problem…I had a root canal , yesterday, was scared to death..my first one… I didn’t need to be afraid…it was a snap ! If you need a good dentist, he’s you man ..
Mary and Stephanie we absolutely amazing!!! I came in with horrible pain and needing a tooth extracted and they fit me in immediately and worked with me on everything!! I cannot tell you how amazed I am with these guys!!! And Dr Grant is one of a kind!!! No pain and super quick!!! Love love love!!!!
Well I found this dentist thru my insurance. They were great. The dentist did a great job on my teeth and dentures. I have received a lot of compliments on my teeth. I would recommend them in a minute. I even send my sister there and she was happy with the work they did on her teeth.
Very patient and explains everything … About to get my first root canal and I am very calm knowing that Dr. Grant will do an awesome job.. staff is very welcoming and make sure you are taken care of.
I have seen Dr Grant several times. I had a wisdom tooth pulled. It wasn’t an easy process, tooth just had broken the gums and had been this way for years. Dr Grant did a wonderful job, I had no pain during the procedure or afterwards, only soreness. I’m now having a root canal done and have also been well taken of….no pain. He informs you of what he will be doing. He and all his staff are very friendly. It is so comforting to walk in the door and be greeted by smiling faces from the ladies at the front desk. I feel important as a patient, well taken care of and recommend Dr Grant to anyone who is in need of a great dentist.
I have been coming to West Orem for over 20 years. The service is remarkable and the staff is wonderful. Dr Grant is the best and he is very sensitive to your needs. The staff goes over and beyond to help you and make you feel like you are the only patient in the world. Thank you West Orem Dental for caring enough to give me the best of your service.
Porcelain Veneers Process
The following are some of the primary steps involved in the porcelain veneers process.
Diagnosis and Treatment
First, you’ll need to tell your dentist exactly what you’re hoping to achieve and give them a thorough and detailed overview of your medical history. The dentist will then examine your teeth carefully to make sure that the dental veneers are suitable for you. The dentist will also take x-rays and impressions of your teeth in order to make suitable veneers.
Preparation of the Teeth
The doctor will have to shave around 0.5 millimeters off your teeth’s surface so that the porcelain veneer can be attached over it. Before doing so, the doctor will apply anesthesia around the mouth to numb all sensation. He or she will also send the impressions of your teeth to a laboratory so a veneer can be prepared. In the meantime, you may be given temporary veneers to place over the tooth.
The doctor will place the prepared dental veneer over your teeth to make sure that it’s the right size, shade, and shape. Following that, the dentist will clean, polish, and etch your tooth so it can receive the permanent porcelain veneer. A special cement will be used to position the porcelain veneer correctly and then a special light will be used to harden it. Finally, the dentist will make some adjustments as necessary.
Frequently Asked Questions about Porcelain Veneers
Does insurance cover porcelain dental veneers?
Insurance doesn’t cover porcelain dental veneers because it’s a cosmetic treatment and insurance only covers medically necessary procedures.
How many veneers do I need to hide one crooked tooth?
You only need a single porcelain veneer to hide one crooked tooth.
How do dentists put on porcelain veneers?
The dentist follows these steps before putting on the porcelain veneers:
- Shaving off some of the enamel.
- Taking impressions of your teeth and sending them to the laboratory for veneer preparation.
- Polishing and cleaning the teeth.
- Bonding the permanent veneers to the tooth using cement and a special light.
- Making final adjustments.
How much do dental veneers cost?
The average cost of dental veneers, according to the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, is $1,313 per tooth.
How should I take care of my dental veneers?
The following tips will help you take care of your porcelain veneers:
- Brush and floss your teeth at least twice every day.
- Don’t chew on extremely hard food or objects like ice or pencils.
- Visit your dentist for regular dental cleaning appointments.
Affordable Porcelain Veneers Near Me
West Orem Dental gives you access to some of the most affordable porcelain veneers near your location, especially if you live in or around Houston, TX. We have expert dentists who thoroughly examine your teeth and recommend the best cosmetic treatment for your needs. For more information on porcelain veneers, please schedule an appointment online.